Friday, January 4, 2008

we're here

Whew! That's one of the hardest trip days that we have had. But we're finally here, and hopefully can get enough sleep to make it in the morning. Bleh!

We've been having a lot of problems setting up my laptop after those evil people ripped it's guts out and replaced them with who-knows-what. As of today, we couldn't download our CM query into our GPS'rs, and since we were getting in late, I was having bad images of the start of the CM without any coords. I couldn't do it through GSAK, or through Mapsource. I knew it was probably a simple thing, but that didn't help me any.

I called Allanon while he was in the middle of the pre-event dinner and the WSGA board meeting, but got his voice mail. Hoping that AndrewRJ had come with him, I called his phone too and also got a voice mail. Fortunately, Andrew called back right away. He had decided to stay home because he has a brand new baby and didn't feel like leaving her yet. We had a nice chat about babies and caching and GPS (new stuff!), and what he thought the problem was with Mapsource. Problem was I was driving over Cascade Mountain passes and didn't have internet for that fix. Then, I got a call back from Allanon. He was busy with meetings, so he passed his phone to Landrover. Even though Landrover was super patient and nice to me, I felt very unintelligent, because even the basic things he was trying to ask me and talk to me about, sounded like Chinese to me. But after a few tries, we got to the point where I understood what I should try to do.

So......finally after all that, I can use Mapsource with GSAK now, and I can download caches into our GPS'rs from either GSAK or Mapsource! What a big load off! The GSAK was a simple checkbox that I had been afraid to check while I was wandering around GSAK on my own earlier. Viola. The Mapsource just needed to be updated to the newest version online. Now I have everything set up.

Thanks, AndrewRJ, Landrover, and Allanon! I don't know what I'd do without my geocaching friends. Thanks for putting up with my fumblings. :-D

Looking forward to tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro! I never found out what the outcome of that computer problem was until now. I am glad that we were all able to get it working for you.

Andrew

Ambrosia said...

Oh, I never let you know how it turned out, sorry! I'm glad that you were able to read the blog entry and find out the rest of the story. :-) Thanks again.

About Me

My photo
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."